Sunday, January 19, 2014

Wulfstan of Worcester

Son of Athelstan and Wulfgeva, he was known as a pious youth. Studied at the monasteries of Evesham and Petersborough. When Wulfstan was grown, but still a young man, his parents joined separate monasteries in Worcester. Priest who led his flock by good example. Monk at Worcester. Taught catechism to children, and served as church treasurer. Bishop of Worcester in 1062.

When William the Norman conquered England in 1066, he replaced most of the native Anglo-Saxon bishops with clergy from his own Normandy. The most conspicuous exception was Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester (pronounced "Wooster"), who had been a supporter of the Anglo-Saxon King Harold, but who submitted to William after Harold's death, and became one of the King's most trusted advisors.

Known for inspirational preaching, great humility, and asceticism. One of the first bishops in England to make pastoral visits to the parishes of his diocese. Influential in ending the sale of Irish prisoners as slaves in England.

Propers for Wulfstan of Worcester - Monastic and Bishop

The Collect.

O GOD, the light of the faithful and shepherd of souls, who didst call thy servant Wulfstan to feed thy sheep by his word, and guide them by his example: Grant us, we pray thee, to keep the faith which he taught, and to follow in his footsteps; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


The Epistle. Philippians 3:7-15.

HOWBEIT what things were gain to me, these have I counted loss for Christ. Yea verily, and I count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I suffer the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may gain Christ, and be found in him, not having a righteousness of mine own, even that which is of the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, becoming conformed unto his death; if by any means I may attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect: but I press on, if so be that I may apprehend that for which also I was apprehended by Christ Jesus. brethren, I count not myself yet to have apprehended: but one thing I do, forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before, I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything
ye are otherwise minded, even this shall God reveal unto you.


The Gospel. St. Matthew 25:31-40.

WHEN the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: and before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: and he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me. drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.


Reference and Resources:

http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/JEK/01/19.html
http://saints.sqpn.com/saintw13.htm
http://members.cox.net/kjc402/1963_Lesser_F&F.pdf

No comments: