Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Morning Prayer Readings Wednesday after Trinity 19

The Psalter


Psalm 94

The Ninety- Fourth Psalm

Deus ultionum.


O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth, * thou God, to whom vengeance belongeth, show thyself.
 Arise, thou Judge of the world, * and reward the proud after their deserving.
 LORD, how long shall the ungodly, * how long shall the ungodly triumph?
 How long shall all wicked doers speak so disdainfully, * and make such proud boasting?
 They smite down thy people, O LORD, * and trouble thine heritage.
 They murder the widow and the stranger, * and put the fatherless to death.
 And yet they say, Tush, the LORD shall not see, * neither shall the God of Jacob regard it.
 Take heed, ye unwise among the people: * O ye fools, when will ye understand?
 He that planted the ear, shall he not hear? * or he that made the eye, shall he not see?
 Or he that instructeth the heathen, * it is he that teacheth man knowledge; shall not he punish?
 The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man, * that they are but vain.
 Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, * and teachest him in thy law;
 That thou mayest give him patience in time of adversity, * until the pit be digged up for the ungodly.
 For the LORD will not fail his people; * neither will he forsake his inheritance;
 Until righteousness turn again unto judgment: * all such as are true in heart shall follow it.
 Who will rise up with me against the wicked? * or who will take my part against the evil doers?
 If the LORD had not helped me, * it had not failed, but my soul had been put to silence.
 But when I said, My foot hath slipt; * thy mercy, O LORD, held me up.
 In the multitude of the sorrows that I had in my heart, * thy comforts have refreshed my soul.
 Wilt thou have any thing to do with the throne of wickedness, * which imagineth mischief as a law?
 They gather them together against the soul of the righteous, * and condemn the innocent blood.
 But the LORD is my refuge, * and my God is the strength of my confidence.
 

 vs 23 He shall recompense them their wickedness, and destroy them in their own malice; * yea, the LORD our God shall destroy them. 



The First Lesson


I Kings 22:13-28

And the messenger that was gone to call Micaiah spake unto him, saying, Behold now, the words of the prophets declare good unto the king with one mouth: let thy word, I pray thee, be like the word of one of them, and speak that which is good. And Micaiah said, As the Lord liveth, what the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak. So he came to the king. And the king said unto him, Micaiah, shall we go against Ramothgilead to battle, or shall we forbear? And he answered him, Go, and prosper: for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king. And the king said unto him, How many times shall I adjure thee that thou tell me nothing but that which is true in the name of the Lord? And he said, I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the Lord said, These have no master: let them return every man to his house in peace. And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would prophesy no good concerning me, but evil? And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. And the Lord said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and said, I will persuade him. And the Lord said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. But Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near, and smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the spirit of the Lord from me to speak unto thee? And Micaiah said, Behold, thou shalt see in that day, when thou shalt go into an inner chamber to hide thyself. And the king of Israel said, Take Micaiah, and carry him back unto Amon the governor of the city, and to Joash the king's son; And say, Thus saith the king, Put this fellow in the prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction, until I come in peace. And Micaiah said, If thou return at all in peace, the Lord hath not spoken by me. And he said, Hearken, O people, every one of you.



The Second Lesson

I Timothy 1:1-11

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope; Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord. As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.



Prayers and Collects

ASSIST us mercifully, O Lord, in these our supplications and prayers, and dispose the way of thy servants towards the attainment of everlasting salvation; that, among all the changes and chances of this mortal life, they may ever be defended by thy most gracious and ready help; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Nineteenth Sunday after Trinity

O GOD, forasmuch as without thee we are not able to please thee; Mercifully grant that thy Holy Spirit may in all things direct and rule our hearts; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Martyrs of Trier - 5 October

Almighty and Everlasting God, who didst enkindle the flame of thy love in the heart of thy holy martyrs of Trier : Grant to us, thy humble servants, a like faith and power of love, that we who rejoice in their triumph may profit by their example; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

A Wednesday Morning Prayer

O almighty, merciful God, gracious Father in heaven, since Thou hast again kept me safe this night by Thy ministering spirits, the holy angels, and permitted me to see this new day refreshed and in the enjoyment of health, I most heartily give Thee praise, honor and eternal thanks therefore, and pray Thee again, dear heavenly Father, to whose will I subject all that I do and leave undone, my beginning and end, that Thou wouldst henceforth graciously have mercy upon me, and govern all my thoughts and aspirations, my heart, sense, mind and thoughts, all my words and deeds by Thy Holy Spirit, so that I may understand what is good or evil, and that I may this day so walk and live in this evil and perverse world, that I above all things, free from my sins, may have a heartfelt desire for that eternal home which Christ, my Saviour, purchased and secured for me, and may not lose it by reason of my wicked, sinful life. To this end wilt Thou graciously help me with Thy divine love and the power of Thy Holy Spirit, for the sake of Thy dear Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: